Two four-hour modules (eight hours total)
Path to Performance
Levels 2, 3
The Co-lead Workshop exposes co-leads to the skills and knowledge needed to make unit-based teams work together effectively. The skills the co-lead learns are discussed and agreements are made regarding implementation as he/she returns to the unit-based team.
Who should attend
This course is the first of two workshops intended specifically for all labor, management or physician unit-based team co-leads. The workshop builds on previous LMP orientation training co-leads may have attended. Following this course, co-leads are encouraged to attend the advanced course titled: Team Leadership for Co-leads: Leading Your Team to the Next Level.
- Labor Management Partnership Orientation
- Labor and management co-leads attend the training together
- Requires basic knowledge of:
- Consensus Decision Making (CDM)
- Interest-Based Problem Solving (IBPS)
Course outline and objectives
Unit-based teams—what are they?
Define a unit-based team and describe its purpose and scope
Roles and responsibilities
Understand the roles and the corresponding responsibilities on unit-based teams
Working styles and practices for success
Differentiate between various work styles and summarize how they contribute to a team’s development and success
Understand how to use a charter to focus the team
Planning and running effective meetings
Identify specific actions in each of the four phases of meeting management that will improve your meetings
Unit-based team processes
Identify practices in your role as co-leads that will improve team processes and results
(knowledge, skills, attitudes)
- Complete a working style assessment, learn their partner's style and create a plan to more effectively work with each other and with the team
- Agree on one "Leadership Practice for Success" and create a plan to implement this leadership practice with their team
- Agree on how to incorporate meeting management skills and tools into their future UBT meetings
- Agree on how they will lead their team by connecting performance improvement work to the Value Compass
- Agree on the partnership behaviors they will model for their UBT
For information on this course or to request a training for trainers, contact LMPlearn@kp.org.
This page was last updated 1/2/2015